As soon as Manuka essential oil was available, I quickly bought it. It turns out the smell is not like the Manuka honey. But it turns out that the benefits are extraordinary, especially for skin and hair.
Here are a few reasons why Manuka essential oil is considered more powerful than Manuka honey:
- Concentration – Essential oils are much more concentrated than honey. Manuka oil contains the plant’s most potent, antioxidant-rich compounds in a concentrated form, making it more powerful medicinally.
- Purity – Essential oils are purified extracts that isolate the most bioactive components of the plant. This allows for higher levels of the most medicinally beneficial compounds compared to honey.
- Delivery Method – Oils penetrate quicker and deeper into surfaces, tissues, and cells because of their tiny molecular size. This allows the oil to transport the medicinal compounds efficiently to where they are needed most.
- Antimicrobial Action – While Manuka honey does have antimicrobial properties, Manuka oil has been shown to be even stronger against certain bacteria and viruses. This is due to the presence and concentration of beneficial phytochemicals.
- Anti-Inflammatory – Research shows Manuka oil exhibits potent anti-inflammatory abilities that may surpass Manuka honey. The oil reduces inflammatory COX 2 enzymes and cytokines for acute and chronic inflammation.
So while the honey does offer benefits, the steam-distilled essential oil contains a much more concentrated form of the plant’s most powerful, medicinal compounds. This makes it superior topically and internally for some conditions.
Manuka essential oil is also good for toenails. Apply directly or you can soak your feet with 1/4 cup Epsom salt and 3 drops of manuka in warm water for 10 minutes.
In addition, Manuka also helps to calm over sensitive nerves and strengthen the psyche, producing an almost sensual feeling of well-being. It’s stabilizing and calming aroma makes it very good for combating stress and irritability
Diffuse Manuka to clean the air at home. If you don’t prefer the smell of Manuka by itself, you can diffuse it with Eucalyptus Radiata and Lemon as in the diffuser recipe below.
TIPS ON USING MANUKA
2 drops Manuka and 2 drops Helichrysum into body lotion / butter for fragrance and skin moisture
4 drops Cypress
2 drops Manuka
4 drops Orange
2 tbsp Young Living’s V-6
Massage the above mixture on the scalp and leave for 20 minutes. Wash off and enjoy healthy, soft hair.
Contributed by Deny